Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Nearly there!

Tomorrow is the big day! The performance. I finished my score on the weekend, sent it out, and had a rehearsal on Monday (yesterday). The rehearsal went quite well actually and I'm excited for the performance.

One of the things I found slightly different about this piece is the lack of a name. I knew exactly what my last piece was and the name sort of just came and made sense and worked. With this, I wrote it, finished it, played it, mulled it over--no name. I had no 'image' in my mind.
Today I decided to play it for my girlfriend (well, the piano part) to see what she thought. She suggested first asking my performers what they felt the piece was to them, however, after a discussion a name came to me. She likened it to a turbulent relationship.. beginning with imperfect harmonies, though quite delicate and tonal--building and developing before erupting into a dramatic explosion. It sounds angry, like a huge fight. Destructive, even. By the end the fight is over, though not quite resolved. I thought--well it does seem quite impassioned and thought "The Fire". Fire is often used as a symbol of passion, both in religious and secular fields. Fire is both delicate and beautiful, but also can be quite fearsome and destructive. And so, The Fire, seemed to fit.

I hinted at dubstep elements, mostly leaning toward softer dubstep as seen in the song Drvgs by DVBBS. A soft, melodious intro leading into a section with more of a driving beat, and finally falling to the drop and the part that makes it dubstep. I played with different elements of each instrument that I hope brought out hints towards the techno/dance genre (muting piano strings, fluttertonguing flute, etc.)

Overall I am happy with what I made of this project--this piece. And I hope that others can agree!
So, here's to tomorrow!

Until some other time,

Brad


1 comment:

  1. the fire is an awesome title for your piece. The soft beginning (I can definitly hear it as an intro to a skrillex song) almost depicts the flame being lit. The piece then explodes into that awesome cut time part where the flames are roaring! Then at the end the flame is put out with the recapitulated intro material. At least that's how I think of it. Awesome stuff man!

    ReplyDelete