Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Surviving

Dying.

Literally probably dying.

This is my 5th all-nighter in 9 days.. my body is crying.


I have made good progress on the piece. There are a couple of holes to fill but conceptually it is done. Though I am ambitiously fighting sleep here and I just want this piece done. So I can give it to the performers and be like 'do the best you can with the 5 days you have with it..' Each day gets closer and closer and I made the realization early last week that if I am to complete everything, something's gotta give. And that's using basically every bit of every day.

It's hard. I want to make this into something but actually literally not having the time to properly devote. I mean, how often are you able to write a complicated piece for ensemble and have it performed all in the span of 3 weeks? If I get through this it will probably be one of the more amazing feats I've accomplished thus far. I'm not even sure still how to notate half the stuff I want for the flute part.

I blame most of my lunacy on not using paper. I write at the piano and score in Finale. No paper this time. That was a dumb choice. And one which I will absolutely not revisit in the future. See, the thing is most of the things I write I never write down, rather, I remember them. However, when it comes to more complicated bits of scoring, it becomes harder to remember the desired nuances of each idea.

Yeah not using paper as a middleman was a kinda dumb move on my part.

I still have yet to start other assignments for tomorrow. I shouldn't have, but I just had to sleep last night. I couldn't do 3 in a row again. Though I couldn't really afford the time. Plus I wanted to sleep to have a good opening night for The Laramie Project tonight. That is one mentally and physically exhausting show. Thought it was pretty amazing/horrible though to see that a member of the Phelps family (son of Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church in the states) tweeted their protest of our play. Legit.
More info. Though through all of this it is worth it. Because I'm out there doing what I love doing and to do something so important, and relevant. It's really special. I'm lucky that though I'm sleep deprived and hurtin from all this work--it's all stuff I love to do. SO anyone reading this before saturday should make an effort to come see the show at the LSPU hall!! Though I'm warning you, bring tissues. It's a heartwrencher.

No comments:

Post a Comment